Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Wanderings of Odysseus

The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of the Odyssey - Rosemary Sutcliff


Francis Lincoln Ltd. 1995
Reading Level: 9+  Number of Pages: 131    Genre: Fiction

Summary: Published posthumously, the author has succeeded in retelling the story of Homer's Odyssey in such a simpler fashion--either as a companion to the Odyssey itself, or as a storybook for children. The book follows Odysseus on his journey, and marks significant episodes as the battle with the one-eyed cyclops Polyphemus, the Sirens, Scylla and Charybdis, as well as Odysseus' return to Ithaca. The author manages to tell the story in a captivating and interesting way, while helping to acquaint readers with the epic poem by Homer.

     "'My lord's own bow is still in the house,' she said. 'A great bow that few men but he can draw. In his young day, I recall, he would sometimes take twelve of the ax-rings that men use for target practice and games of bowmanship, and set them up in a row and shoot an arrow straight through all twelve, for a show of skill So I will make my contest, and whichever man can best string my lord's bow and loose his shafts through the ranged ax-rings, that man I will take for my new lord, and him will I go with, bidding farewell to this house that has been my home since I came to it as a bride.'"

My Impressions: I have had the opportunity in the past of reading a good part of Homer's Odyssey, but seem to remember having a hard time understanding epic poetry in form. I have wanted to return to the story, since I had found myself to recollect a good portion of it from somewhere, but never quite got up the courage to dive into that text. I found this version by Sutcliff an interesting version, as it told the story in a way interesting to me. I feel like epic poetry is under-appreciated due to its complexity, yet the stories there are interesting enough to appeal to everyone, and they contain many references pertinent to literature.

Parent's Guide:The epic of Odysseus contains many different battles, which result in the death of many of his best men. Additionally the cyclops Polyphemus kills several of Odysseus' men, before they spear him in the eye in order to escape.

Recommendations: The epic of Odysseus is something to enjoyed by everyone, but not everyone wants to read it in its entirety. This provides a helpful bridge to tell the story in a way that kids could understand Odysseus' travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment